General discussion for hardware, software and programming shizzle.
Post a reply

I need a Mac

28 Jan 2012, 21:04

So, afterall, what Mac would you suggest me? I'm currently between the "2.5GHz Mac mini" at 799$ with customizable stuff
Code:
2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
8GB DDR3 memory upgrade
750GB (7200-rpm) hard drive

And the MacBook Air, with only 200$ more, being 999$
I guess the MacBook Air is more worth it, but i'm not sure wether you can change parts or not. If yes, i go for that. Also, the portability is much bigger than the Mini's... Actually you will need a steady power source for the Mini... Though you need a TV screen aswell, or a monitor will do it too, while the Air has both...
In conclusion, what would you suggest me? (Don't think about the money, 1000$ once in my life worths it)

Re: I need a Mac

28 Jan 2012, 22:04

why do you want a mac, why wouldnt a cheaper normal pc do?

also its not "once"
that mac wont last longer than other pcs, so you will have to rebuy stuff at one point

28 Jan 2012, 23:30

Why a mac >:C

29 Jan 2012, 04:14

Well its hard to help you decide which one when we don't know what the intended purpose is.

e.g.

For gaming, currently a MacBook (Pro) (running OS X or Windows) isn't necessarily the best as Apple only update the graphics card every one to two years. When they do, they typically use the latest and greatest (within reason) so buy a MacBook (Pro) soon after a refresh. Outside of a refresh cycle, try a non-mac laptop.

For general web browsing/email/etc, a macbook (even the NetBook Air) would be over powered so the best solution would probably be a large screened netbook.

For any development, I would suggest a MacBook. Why? OS X. In my opinion, OS X is the best platform to develop on: it being UNIX-Like and a Commercial OS with good commercial application support; and a well-thought-out development flow; it just makes development much smoother. Try getting GNU GCC working on windows or Photoshop on linux (Cygwin, Wine need not apply).

29 Jan 2012, 11:58

I was waiting for Jamza to post here :D.
Post a reply