New topic New reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 27 posts ] 
12 Jun 2011, 14:15
102 Posts

Hey guys, recently I decided to start learning java. It actually scares me, because it looks a bit hard, i never got the thing with declarations and stuff. I know c++ pretty good though, so i'm familiarized with programming. But i think java is a bit different. So if you guys can show me some java tutorials, but like the ones where the narrator explains you everything. Just like i was a total beginner, because i want to understand it well.
Edit: i would expect an answer from Puckey :3

And containing universe boot-up sequence...
Do not alter at ANY circumstances....
If you have any problems, please shut the universe down and restart....

Microsoft (Gods Division)

WHERE IS MY FUCKING COOKIE?!?!
VIP VIP
09 Apr 2010, 16:02
930 Posts

Been looking for the same, to be honest.

CaRIOcas 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7SavzqdSM
Minecraft Administrator Minecraft Administrator
07 Mar 2011, 00:08
338 Posts

102 Posts

chinichi wrote:

I expected an online tutorial, thanks anyway ^^
Edit: "free eTips at dummies.com" it's written in small letters, and acutally i found something that might come in handy
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/j ... sheet.html

Developer i play dota ok
11 Sep 2001, 19:41
1994 Posts

I'm doing the same thing ;)

30 Jun 2011, 16:55
36 Posts

I'd recommend you to check this out: :v

thenewboston, a YouTube channel about programming.

Java Programming, a book about Java programming on wikibooks.
Server Admin Server Admin
25 Nov 2009, 22:49
1890 Posts

Feel free to ask me any questions. :D I finished java, so I'm pretty fluent in it, and probably know some things a self-taught haven't though about.. I hope. :D
As for where to learn it, download Java For Dummies. It's really a great book, which have taken the best of the more advanced programming books. I'm sure you can find a torrent out there. :)
Hacker Hacker
20 Mar 2010, 20:58
467 Posts

Ah Java, how I love and hate it at the same time. :D
Quote:
<@joosa> how do you say float in java? just 1.5f?
<@Gliptic> FloatFactoryFactory.getInstance(FloatFactoryFactory.defaultInstanceDescriptionString).getFactory(Locale.getLocale("en-US")).createBuilder().setString("1.5").getResult()

Seriously speaking though, Java is a good starting point to jump to the more "serious" languages like C/C++ since the syntax is quite similar. ;)
1890 Posts

LifeTimeBLOOD wrote:
Ah Java, how I love and hate it at the same time. :D
Quote:
<@joosa> how do you say float in java? just 1.5f?
<@Gliptic> FloatFactoryFactory.getInstance(FloatFactoryFactory.defaultInstanceDescriptionString).getFactory(Locale.getLocale("en-US")).createBuilder().setString("1.5").getResult()

:P
11 Aug 2009, 20:12
1264 Posts

Knock Knock.

Who's There?

*waits 5 minutes*

Java.
07 May 2011, 22:41
361 Posts

Jamza wrote:
Knock Knock.

Who's There?

*waits 5 minutes*

Java.

^^^^^^^^^

Java is slow and inefficient and receives shit for it all the time. Its only real benefit is that it is rather portable. Other than that there is no reason to use java, other than to make minecraft plugins.

C++ (despite my lack of fluency in it) is widely regarded as the best programming language for several good reasons. If you're interested in programming in general, you'd be best to stick with C++; although it is difficult to learn especially for those new to programming.

However I can still show you some stuff in Java if you'd like.

Like it's been said, Java (and microsoft's rip-off twin of it, C#, which I love deeply) inherits most of its syntax from C++. They are both more or less their own versions of C++, except simplified a bit (which also means less power and capability) and fully object oriented. This will also mean you would need a full understanding of objects to learn either of the two.

Talk to me on steam if you'd like; other than that it's the same process as learning other languages. Sun has some great tutorials online ( http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ ), other than that you can pretty much come up with loads of information through google.

Of course if you have a question you can look for yourself on google, and if all else fails post on StackOverflow or a coding forum of some sort, or ask me or one of the more experienced coders.

Good luck, mate.

11 Aug 2009, 20:12
1264 Posts

HAPPYGOPUCKEY wrote:
Java is slow and inefficient and receives shit for it all the time. Its only real benefit is that it is rather portable.

Well, actually Java (when done right) can run near C speed and efficiency. It just runs shit code (which there is a lot of) shit.
Developer i play dota ok
11 Sep 2001, 19:41
1994 Posts

Know about any books online (like a pdf on java for beginners) that I could print out on paper? :)

102 Posts

Karl wrote:
Know about any books online (like a pdf on java for beginners) that I could print out on paper? :)

Nope sorry, and thanks guys for the help, so i decided to finish learning C++ until i'm very fluent with it. After that, i may take a look at java, just as pukey said :D.

1890 Posts

Karl wrote:

Depends on how you want to start. Last time I talked to you, you were talking about java applets and games, so you might not want to learn all the basic stuff.
If you want it from the bottom up, the one we used in 1st Semester was great.
"Building Java Programs - A back to basics approach" by Reges Stepp
New topic New reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 27 posts ]