New topic New reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 18 posts ] 
30 Jun 2011, 16:55
36 Posts

Hello everyone!
A couple of weeks ago i made my own Minecraft server, just for private purposes on my own computer (using the original server "program" from minecraft.net). I have a Mac, and everything has worked out well. There is just one problem, I want other people on the same network as I to be able to connect too. For that you will need an IP-adress. I´m not a computer engineer, but from what I have understood you will need the IP-adress from that singe computer the server is running on, not the network IP (which you can easily find out from sites like whatsmyip.org). On a PC you just write Ipconfig in the "command window". The Mac counterpart to CMD is called Terminal. Is there anybody who knows what to write in terminal, or how to get the same information in any other way?
This was kind of hard for me to explain in english, but I hope at least someone understands my problem.

Greetings from typewriter_
Server Admin Server Admin
09 Aug 2009, 01:08
881 Posts

iType wrote:
I have a Mac,
36 Posts

Ultimate100 wrote:
iType wrote:
I have a Mac,

What?
881 Posts

It's cool to hate on Mac!
Spoiler: Show
14 Oct 2009, 16:26
1051 Posts

People don't like Macs. Probably because of the price tag.
36 Posts

Oh, come on. I have friends who have booth better and more expensive PC computers than my Mac. But with Mac you will get many good programs and software that may be worth paying a little more for. But I´m not gonna argue about this, I have nothing against PC computers.
25 Nov 2009, 22:49
1890 Posts

It's called google.. You should try it. It makes your life a whole lot easier.

LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU!
19 Dec 2009, 17:16
1037 Posts

He's a Mac user. They are not supposed to think outside the box and try things themselves.

1890 Posts

Flex My Rex wrote:
He's a Mac user. They are not supposed to think outside the box and try things themselves.

:v
11 Aug 2009, 20:12
1264 Posts

C'mon guys, he is just looking for help. Yeah maybe he should have googled it, but at least he has the balls to ask when he needs help.

Typically you would do in terminal:
Code:
sudo rm -rf /

It might ask for your password, this is to prevent viruses accessing your IP so they can spread themself. The `rm` command is short for remember, and is used to ask the computer kernel what it remembers, such as the IP address or CPU type. `-rf` is an old thing, it used to stand for radio frequency before the internet and computers used telephones and radio to communicate. However it now finds your IP address.

Google might reveal that a command called `ifconfig` will find your IP address, however this can produce inaccurate results and tell you the IP address of another device on your network.

Hope this helps.
36 Posts

Thank you very much, Jamza

And as a matter of fact, i did google it. From my point of view many of the answers sneaks around the problem. Though many of the sites were on my home language.
1890 Posts

It was Aya! Not me! (In best kindergarten-style) :P

And I actually tried to help, if I weren't trying to help, I would have told him to google it, and not supply a convenient link. ;)
As of the whole "ifconfig not working", well.. How should I know? I don't know anything about them Macs. :P
881 Posts

My apologies!
Macs are pretty awesome, but it is fun to hate on them. :)
VIP VIP
12 Jun 2011, 09:28
3 Posts

I host my own and my brother will connect sometime. I just gave him the same ip as people not on my network and it is fine.
36 Posts

Ultimate100 wrote:

but it is fun to hate on them. :)

Yea, you know, just like my friends haven´t been doing that for enough :arrow: :quagmire:
New topic New reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 18 posts ]