New topic New reply  Page 1 of 1
 [ 12 posts ] 
Server Admin Server Admin
25 Nov 2009, 22:49
1890 Posts

Hey Guys!
So, I have a quick question. My girlfriend bought a Netbook the other day, only problem is that it has Windows XP, which we would like to change to Windows 7.
So... Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but the Netbook doesn't have an optical drive, and won't let you boot from USB, and it's in a different language, (Danish), than the version we want to put on. (English)

Anyone got any ideas?
I could always find a pirated version of a Danish Win7, but I'm not sure it's that possible, and it's probably quite tedious.

Thanks
11 Aug 2009, 20:12
1264 Posts

Are you sure it doesn't let you boot from USB? I find it highly unlikely that they would disable USB booting, check the BIOS just to see if its disabled.

What Netbook is it?
09 May 2010, 14:52
153 Posts

Quote:
won't let you boot from USB

lol wut?

1890 Posts

Jamza wrote:
Are you sure it doesn't let you boot from USB? I find it highly unlikely that they would disable USB booting, check the BIOS just to see if its disabled.

What Netbook is it?

Hey Jamza, thanks for the response.
Well, AFAIK, it's disabled. It's not all MOBO's that let's you boot from USB, is it? I have only seen one myself. It's not on the boot priority list, so how can I see if it's disabled?

Compaq Mini CQ10-103EO.
Here a danish link which have been crunched through google-translate. (Couldn't find any other good links)
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... 33&act=url
11 Aug 2009, 20:12
1264 Posts

Not all BIOSes support USB booting, but pretty much all modern ones do (at least the ones compaq would use).

I can't remember how you access the BIOS on a compaq (last compaq I had was in the 90's) but I think it is F2 or F9. Once you have gotten into the BIOS look something like "Boot Order" or "Boot Priorities", the likely problem is that the internal hard drive has a higher priority than any external media (such as USB). Try changing the first priority to USB (or any variant of USB like USB-HDD, USB-FLASH).
1890 Posts

Jamza wrote:
Not all BIOSes support USB booting, but pretty much all modern ones do (at least the ones compaq would use).

I can't remember how you access the BIOS on a compaq (last compaq I had was in the 90's) but I think it is F2 or F9. Once you have gotten into the BIOS look something like "Boot Order" or "Boot Priorities", the likely problem is that the internal hard drive has a higher priority than any external media (such as USB). Try changing the first priority to USB (or any variant of USB like USB-HDD, USB-FLASH).

Jamza, read what I just wrote. xD
Quote:
It's not on the boot priority list, so how can I see if it's disabled?

I very well know how to access the BIOS and all that. Heh. There's only the HDD on the boot prio list. :(
Loved Ex-Admin ♥ Loved Ex-Admin ♥
08 Jan 2010, 13:23
504 Posts

About the language thing, im pretty sure you can install any windows 7, and install other languages through "Windows Update"

and about the boot, sorry i don't know :(

20 Mar 2010, 20:58
467 Posts

Quote:
[...]install other languages through "Windows Update"

Only if its Windows Vista/7 Ultimate afaik.

And it could be that your BIOS will only show bootable USB devices if a USB dvd-drive or USB stick is attached.
Loved Ex-Admin ♥ Loved Ex-Admin ♥
08 Jan 2010, 13:23
504 Posts

Isnt ultimate the best go? :D

1890 Posts

LifeTimeBLOOD wrote:
Quote:

And it could be that your BIOS will only show bootable USB devices if a USB dvd-drive or USB stick is attached.

Okay. :) I'll try that.
09 May 2010, 14:52
153 Posts

LifeTimeBLOOD wrote:
Quote:

Only Ultimate got proper interface for installing language pack but you can install language pack on any edition with some hax0ring. I will post instructions if somebody will be interested.

Maniac you should have option to start boot menu there you will can choose to boot from usb device that was attached from computer start.

EDIT:
Compaq Mini CQ10-103EO support usb booting. Insert pendrive, turn on computer, spam F9 and chose usb drive from menu that will appear.

1890 Posts

AcidWeb wrote:
LifeTimeBLOOD wrote:
Quote:

Only Ultimate got proper interface for installing language pack but you can install language pack on any edition with some hax0ring. I will post instructions if somebody will be interested.

Maniac you should have option to start boot menu there you will can choose to boot from usb device that was attached from computer start.

EDIT:
Compaq Mini CQ10-103EO support usb booting. Insert pendrive, turn on computer, spam F9 and chose usb drive from menu that will appear.

Already spoke to Jamza about this. :P The problem is that even after a BIOS update, I still don't have the options of booting from a USB drive.
(I have assembled loads of computers, so know how the whole thing works. :P )
But I'm going to test in the weekend where I can get my hands on the laptop again.
New topic New reply  Page 1 of 1
 [ 12 posts ]