New topic New reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 17 posts ] 
VIP VIP
06 Dec 2009, 21:26
109 Posts

Is the minecraft server up or is it my firewall?

I made an exception! D:

Greetings,
Flappah.

23 Sep 2012, 17:26
1 Posts

I also have problems with the server. For a week now, I have no connection:(
Hacker Hacker
20 Mar 2010, 20:58
467 Posts

(As per) Its been down since my vserver's IP was locked by the datacenter for allegedly spamming ARP requests for the 3rd time and can no longer be unlocked.
I've since backed everything up and moved it into storage so we can restore everything like nothing ever happened when we find a new hoster.
29 Oct 2011, 22:15
103 Posts

That is unfortunate.

I fell compeled to ask: What is an "ARP request" and what company is in charge of "the datacenter".
Server Admin Server Admin
11 Aug 2009, 20:12
1264 Posts

Eion_Kilant_739 wrote:
I fell compeled to ask: What is an "ARP request" and what company is in charge of "the datacenter".

An ARP request is part of the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP). Basically ARP is a list maintained by network devices which is used to map IP Addresses to MAC Addresses. Inside a single network, devices use the MAC address to communicate, and the IP Address is used to communicate across networks.

Say we have a network 192.168.0.0/24. When node 192.168.0.10 wants to speak to 192.168.0.20 it looks in its ARP Cache to see if it knows the MAC address of .20. If it doesn't it will send out an ARP Request to ask anyone else for the MAC Address. Once found it can then communicate with .20 using its MAC Address.

A good analogy is a person saying 'They live round the corner' (IP Address) and saying 'They live at 123 Fake Street, Springfield, MA, United States" (MAC Address). The first one is easy for people to remember and say however it is not easy for the postal service and would need a way to look up the exact address.

I always told myself my Networking Degree would come in handy one day.

I believe the datacenter is OVH who use MAC address filtering on their network to prevent snooping, it would appear blood never setup NOARP ;)
VIP VIP
109 Posts

Hmm, well. Maybe the next host wont have constant crashes! :D

I'll check the forums from time to time to see if things are up and ill definitly donate some moar.

Greetings,
Flappah.

07 Jul 2009, 02:20
840 Posts

flappah wrote:
Hmm, well. Maybe the next host wont have constant crashes! :D

I'll check the forums from time to time to see if things are up and ill definitly donate some moar.

Greetings,
Flappah.

Thats more about the server software :P

i.e minecraft

109 Posts

They shouldn't have made minecraft in Java :P.

11 Aug 2009, 20:12
1264 Posts

flappah wrote:
They shouldn't have made minecraft in Java :P.

It's not so much Java, it's a number of factors. Ranging from most implementations lacking decent exception handling (defaulting to "Oh shit something I didn't expect, time to go thermonuclear"); no formal protocol specification for servers to implement leading to hacky, reverse-engineered solutions; and lack of an official plugin system again leading to hacky bodges.
26 Feb 2012, 13:16
49 Posts

so this is why i cant get on
kk
05 Oct 2012, 02:10
5 Posts

I miss you all :(
04 Jun 2012, 19:29
8 Posts

^This :(

13 Jun 2012, 21:19
5 Posts

I haven't called Popey a tool in such a long time :<

109 Posts

Still shouldn't have made it in Java since it is now owned by Oracle, thus getting buggier and more vulnerable everyday. (Just look to what oracle did with mysql, they had a security leak that allowed you to login as root user with any given user and password).

Also, java very oftenly has performance issues. It takes alot of processing power for such a basic game.

There's many reasons why they shouldn't have done it in Java lol.

But anyways I MISS YOU GUYS :cry:.

Once the server is up you can expect kind donations.

Greetings,
Flappah.

05 Oct 2012, 02:10
5 Posts

:(
New topic New reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 17 posts ]