New topic New reply  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
27 Apr 2011, 02:02
54 Posts

I floated this idea with Puckey a little while ago as a workaround/stopgap for the suffocation-on-warp glitch. I've seen plugins on other servers that can retain inventory for certain kinds of death, but I don't know of any by name.

What do you think?

07 May 2011, 22:41
361 Posts

I agree, I just haven't gotten around to adding it to the aprilon plugin xd

20 Mar 2010, 20:58
467 Posts

Won't this make minecraft Terraria 3D? Besides, I thought warpsuffocation was fixed. ;_;
Server Admin Server Admin
25 Nov 2009, 22:49
1890 Posts

May I ask what exactly warpsuffocation is? Because it puzzles me, that the solution is keeping inventory saved, and not fixing the warp plugin? Isn't that just treating the symptoms instead of the disease? :)
361 Posts

ManIAc wrote:
May I ask what exactly warpsuffocation is? Because it puzzles me, that the solution is keeping inventory saved, and not fixing the warp plugin? Isn't that just treating the symptoms instead of the disease? :)

Warp Suffocation (n.) (wɔrp sʌfəˌkeɪˌʃən) - Process of Minecraft death suffocation, caused by the delay of terrain loading after one has been teleported a long distance; the player is descended by the pull of gravity before terrain loads and thus teleported under his original destination, causing him/her to suffocate due to spawning inside of the blocks on which were intended to be stood.

^Because fuck Bukkit.

As for warp suffocation being fixed, I'm not sure of. Perhaps the /warp command is, but /tp, /call and /bring, /pwarp (yes, yes, I know, I'll fix it soon), and any other method of teleportation is still broken in the meantime.

Either way, saving the inventory is a valid solution in my eyes, I think it would solve most problems except for the few seconds it would take to warp back...

Either that, or (I like this one better, because it keeps from having to keep reloading the chunk) we could offer a god mode that works against suffocation only. (Suffocation deaths in general are kinda an unnecessary pain in the ass IMO, so why not remove them entirely? Feel free to present me with evidence to the contrary)

The same principles would also be nice to apply to fall damage immediately after warping, since the terrain lag can cause players to fall below the floor. We could implement a timer for said pseudo-invulnerability.

29 Sep 2010, 23:03
289 Posts

suffocation can kill a miner who doesnt pay attention and mines stuff over their head
but how many people do that, i say no damage from that is a good idea
18 May 2011, 03:53
43 Posts

God mode for suffocation would be the best fix in my opinion. There are quite a few other cases where players might suffocate as well (pistons and mine carts for example), yet overall, I think it's a great idea. :)

361 Posts

Let's remember why suffocation was even included. It was to fix players being able to see caves by riding through solid blocks on minecarts. Typical Notch logic, add suffocation instead of fixing the damned problem. Reminds me of how the US busted Al Capone on tax evasion rather than trying him directly for his crimes.

29 Oct 2011, 22:15
103 Posts

HAPPYGOPUCKEY wrote:
Let's remember why suffocation was even included. It was to fix players being able to see caves by riding through solid blocks on minecarts. Typical Notch logic, add suffocation instead of fixing the damned problem. Reminds me of how the US busted Al Capone on tax evasion rather than trying him directly for his crimes.

... You can still see caves, I use a diffrent methood now though. I suppose Notch didn't want players clipping through blocks so he added a feature that makes alot of sense.

Anyway, I dissagree with adding this. This is mainly because I like the risk of in-game death. Sure, it's a pain in the ass, but it is still a risk. That risk makes the game just that more fun to play becasue I still have to be careful. One of the reasons why I like the server is because there was not a ton of plugins making the game have no danger. (Aside from mobs that can destroy blocks and I still don't like the explosions dealing no damage...) The mobs can kill you, your mining can kill you, your building can kill you, you could get killed by other players' traps (aside from the new-found cow detectors the traps always required the player to activate something), etc.

Now I don't have anything against the warp-death protection. I think that is a good idea. What I do not like is the immunity to suffocation damage. It's already pretty simple to look at caves and such but this makes the process not risky what-so-ever. Furthermore when the builder specificaly intends for the minecart to damage someone it will not be possible. It also makes the act of mining upwards completely without risk to players.

Upon extended consideration (see: BS) I approve.
New topic New reply  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ]