New topic New reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 28 posts ] 
Developer i play dota ok
11 Sep 2001, 19:41
1994 Posts

Hey there,

It's official, garry will be holding a Fretta gamemode contest.

Read more about it here: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=840591
FP Studios contest page: http://frettacontest.facepunchstudios.com/
From garry's blog: http://www.garry.tv/?p=1184

It's set to end at the start of February 2010.

I want to do an attempt and enter this contest, the only thing I'm missing is gamemode ideas, and I have absolutely no clue on what to make. I have something on my mind but I'll wait with it for the moment. Please post crazy ideas, it'll be using the Fretta gamemode base so no suggestions for gamemodes for long term gameplay.

Thanks!

02 Oct 2009, 15:24
1585 Posts

a TF2 gamemode for Gmod :quagmire:

Known as "Ocfos" since '01.
Developer i play dota ok
11 Sep 2001, 19:41
1994 Posts

No, i'll not do anything like that because it's waste of time and they'd be better off playing TF2 itself.

21 Jul 2009, 17:21
594 Posts

Ocfos88 wrote:
a TF2 gamemode for Gmod :quagmire:

:silent:

:

;

-- ||
1585 Posts

Alright then what about some scavenger gamemode where ppl can find props around the map (has to be one with good hiding spots) and then set a picture on the screen of what to build a look-a-like 3D model of out of what they Can find?

P.s Got the idea on the bus so typed it on my iPhone :v

VIP VIP
12 Oct 2009, 14:50
243 Posts

That actually sounds pretty damn funky.

1585 Posts

anyone else than super that likes it? :quagmire:

VIP VIP
21 Jul 2009, 17:21
594 Posts

Fretta. :P

:

;

-- ||
1585 Posts

Ocfos88 wrote:
anyone else than super that likes it? :quagmire:

:tinfoil:

Server Admin Server Admin
14 Oct 2009, 16:26
1051 Posts

A variation of Melon Racer, god damn I love melon racer.

I found one somewhere and I might make a melonracer map and run a Hamachi server,
could be cool.

(Not intended as advertisement)
25 Nov 2009, 22:49
1890 Posts

Hmmm.... Well since it's GMOD, a gamemode which is about building something is probably the most exciting, I mean, why would you play GMOD if you didn't like to build stuff.
When you think about what has gotten people excited in the past, stuff like the original build-to-the-top maps, and the one where you had to build an airplane that could fly longer than the other team, you can see that people like something where they have to work together, but where it's easy enough for most people to understand, and it has to be competetive. Apparantly people don't like playing with themselves. (No pun intended!)

Ofcos' idea is good, I would personally find that interesting. The first thing I thought of, was some TV-show on either MTV or Discovery or something like that, where two teams were in a junkyard, and they had to construct something that was predertermined. They could only use materials from the junkyard itself.
So if you were to implement that into Gmod, they would have to build something like: An airplane, Catapult, Mingetrap, something like that. The only problem with it is that, unless the goal is VERY specific, and can be physically meassured, (Like: Build the tallest/Fly the longest/Shoot the furthest/etc), you won't have a chance to make the gamemode itself find the winner of the two teams, as it's often what works the best, and is most practical, that deserves to win.

Hmm. Well, it shouldn't be something where people should kill eachother, because I bet that will get boring very fast in Gmod. Unless it's something where they have to build some sort of obstacle course for the other team. But that would leave a whole bunch of other problems, where they could just build something impossible.
1585 Posts

ManIAc wrote:
Ofcos' idea is good, I would personally find that interesting. The first thing I thought of, was some TV-show on either MTV or Discovery or something like that, where two teams were in a junkyard, and they had to construct something that was predertermined. They could only use materials from the junkyard itself.
So if you were to implement that into Gmod, they would have to build something like: An airplane, Catapult, Mingetrap, something like that. The only problem with it is that, unless the goal is VERY specific, and can be physically meassured, (Like: Build the tallest/Fly the longest/Shoot the furthest/etc), you won't have a chance to make the gamemode itself find the winner of the two teams, as it's often what works the best, and is most practical, that deserves to win.

well it was kinda where i got the idea from
as far as i remember it's called "Scrapyard Challenge" but it's some time since i saw it last :roll:

1890 Posts

Liked that show actually. :P

Hmm.. I just thought of something for the scrapyard-challenge idea, and another idea.

One way you can actually make it easier for the map itself to find the winner, is if you make like a control brick/box/thing, which have to be welded/thrown/flown from an area where only props can enter. So you have to drive your machine into the no-person area, work it from a bunker-thingie, then toss/WHATEVER the control-thing, which calculates what needs to be calculated. If this is possible.

Another idea I just got was something really.. really.. simple. ROBOT ARENA! (Yes, Caps made it so much more awesome.)
Where you could construct destructable materials, and you had to spend points on different armor, weaponry, chassis, and so on. And you have to battle eachother's bots. Always wanted to try this in Gmod. All the times we tried, it wen't horribly wrong.
1585 Posts

ManIAc wrote:
Another idea I just got was something really.. really.. simple. ROBOT ARENA! (Yes, Caps made it so much more awesome.)
Where you could construct destructable materials, and you had to spend points on different armor, weaponry, chassis, and so on. And you have to battle eachother's bots. Always wanted to try this in Gmod. All the times we tried, it wen't horribly wrong.

hahaha you're just ripping off TV shows now aren't you? :P

1890 Posts

Whaa?... Nooooo.... Okay what about this.. You need to get this little ball into a net, which is held by some bars, and looks like a box, just without the one side, so the ball can go in.. Let's call it a goal..
New topic New reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 28 posts ]