New topic New reply  Page 1 of 1
 [ 11 posts ] 
Developer i play dota ok
11 Sep 2001, 19:41
1994 Posts

Hi,

I'm looking for a somewhat relatively cheap (hopefully!) windows dedicated server provider in Europe.
US windows dedicated servers will not be highly prioritized.
Do you know about any relatively cheap ones, and that has good specifications?
None the less, spit out any link to the provider(s) you have in mind that you can share.

So far I have:

RackSRV
From my understanding, their hosting/datacentre is in Kent, UK.
After looking at some of their packages, I think their specs are good, though, the bandwidth limit is somewhat worrying me. But 2TB/month should be enough for a lot of slots?

Go2Gameserver
Personally, I think prices are great considering (from my understanding) that customers get unlimited bandwidth for installed gameservers and voiceservers on the machine. It also states that it's unlimited b/w for other services too, but should expect limitations.
The only downside is that support only speak german, and I lack german talking skills.

Kimsufi/OVH
Package "XL" would suite our needs. Unlimited traffic. Servers in the UK.
Will be rented through a 3rd party though, as you're required to live in the UK to order from them.

Hoping to see other providers including a small review :)

Thanks for reading.

11 Jun 2009, 15:33
186 Posts

Ask IEP if he can sell you a cheap one :D

1994 Posts

Hi,

Possibly over the next month we'll be renting a dedicated server. This is due to latest actions of our current provider, UKGame.com.

I need others' thoughts of this. We have the money for one months of hosting at RackSRV.com, but I'm sceptical about how we'll be able to continue running Aprilon with these costs (which is at ~£60 with free setup). With 2GB or RAM, I estimate we'll be able to run about 3 Team Fortress 2 servers?

I need some support + feedback on this.

19 Dec 2009, 17:16
1037 Posts

You need to think hard about if Aprilon actually wants and needs the extra options a dedicated server brings. Do we really have the manpower/time/need/money to run 3 servers and such. If not, it might be cheaper to rent individual game servers.

1994 Posts

Aya wrote:
You need to think hard about if Aprilon actually wants and needs the extra options a dedicated server brings. Do we really have the manpower/time/need/money to run 3 servers and such. If not, it might be cheaper to rent individual game servers.

In that case I need a new host. I don't want to stay with UKGame anymore.

1037 Posts

Karl wrote:
Aya wrote:

You should look into hosts that host from a datacenter in the netherlands. Not because I want to advertise my own country, but because the netherlands has great routing, and lowest pings for both germans and people from the UK and scandinavia alike.

http://www.i3d.net/gamehosting-games.php

i3D is one of the bigger dutch hosters, and host from Rotterdam (NL) if I'm not mistaken. I worked at their community as an admin before, and I have first hand experience with their support, and I know the owner a bit. I'd recommend them. Then again, you should do research yourself, as you'll be paying most of it I reckon. No hosting company is perfect, and I know there are people that don't like i3D. Then again, lots of people do.

1994 Posts

Karl wrote:
Aya wrote:

Ok, I'll check them out - I've heard of 'em before ;).

As for the quoting above, we have the time to run 3 servers. The money might be a problem though.

25 Nov 2009, 18:01
37 Posts

Funny that you name it Aya. I was about to mention it. I have 2 UT2004 servers myself at i3d for the past 2-3 years and am satisfied. I have no experience with their dedicated hosting so I cannot comment on that. But i3d is certainly a worthy candidate. :)

1994 Posts

If we wouldn't have time for a dedicated server, I'd have no issue with another co-server op that could do tech stuff too ;)

But still, I think it's all up to the donations... I have a new method of filling up servers relatively quickly now though ;)

1994 Posts

Server #1: £44.99 (+£15 Windows OS)
Intel Core2Duo 2 x 2.2Ghz+ (Dual Core)
2GB DDR2 PC5400 RAM
160GB+ SATA2 Hard Drive
2000GB transfer allowance per month
Free setup

Server #X: £44.99 (+£15 Windows OS)
Intel Xeon 4 x 2.0Ghz (Quad Core)
2GB DDR2 ECC RAM
80GB+ SATA Hard Drive
2000GB transfer allowance per month
Free setup

All of their dedicated servers comes with
- Free automated reboots
- Free dedicated server setup

Note that server totals will be ~£60 and will push our monthly goal to ~£67 a month.
We'll be leaving the Garry's Mod sandbox server with our current provider, UKGame.

This isn't happening yet, but I'm pretty close to a final conclusion. We'll have to rework the Garry's Mod VIP system most likely, to bring out its full potential.

There's always the possibility of us going 'bankrupt' and the community falling apart. But time will show. I'd be more than happy to back Aprilon up with around £20 or so.

Any thoughts on this? If we're lucky and fast, I can get the Server #X package as it's only a holidays/christmas special offer. I kind of like the Xeon processor :)

1037 Posts

If this all goes through I'll have no problem paying a certain amount per month. Not sure how much, as I'm but a poor student.

The servers will be up to you, Karl. The thing is, do we really need the 160GB, or is 80GB fine too? If 80 is enough, you should definately go with the Xeon!