Archive: Old pointless posts are stored here for the purposes of cleaning up the other forums.
Topic locked

PC problems - help someone please

04 Feb 2011, 22:54

Steam is as usual doing its best to bug me, but I cannot seem to find any solution for this one. Ideas anyone?

It says:

ERROR

Steam.exe (main exception): The registry is in use by another process, timeout expired

Re: PC problems - help someone please

04 Feb 2011, 23:19

tried clientregistry.blob yet?

or whatever its exact filename is.

04 Feb 2011, 23:22

It wont allow me to because the file is already open in another program... o_O wat

05 Feb 2011, 13:56

have you opened the task manager and checked if there's a "tf2.exe" or "hl2.exe" already running?

05 Feb 2011, 23:57

or steam.exe and shut it down by force (in processes) then do the .blob file thing, if it doesnt work completely uninstall steam, delete everything thats left manually, and clean all traces of steam from registry then make a fresh install

You can also backup your games using steam's backup so you dont lose them in the process but keep them outside steam's directory so they arent in your way.

I also found this:

Code:
Answer

This issue is caused by a third-party application interfering with the normal operation of Steam - one process which has been identified with this crash is the Tuneup WinStyler Theme Service. Other applications such as BitTorrentDNA have also been confirmed to cause this issue.

Please see the Disabling Background Applications article for instructions on how to disable background applications. If disabling the application does not allow Steam to function correctly, you may want to consider completely uninstalling any applications that you believe may be causing the conflict to test Steam again.

If the issue persists, please see the list of Programs Which Interfere with Steam and Spyware, Adware, and Viruses Interfering with Steam in order to ensure that any programs known to cause issues with Steam are disabled.

Source

06 Feb 2011, 16:03

I got it to work! :D

Thanks for all ideas and information :3:

06 Feb 2011, 19:29

Tell us what was it? The problem i mean

06 Feb 2011, 19:32

I don't really know what the problem was, but I opened the task manager and foundation steam.exe under processes so I shut it down
Topic locked