New topic New reply  Page 1 of 2
 [ 16 posts ] 
14 Aug 2010, 12:12
24 Posts

hey guys, i'm having a lot of trouble with my FPS on TF. everything slows down significantly whenever i enter an area with many other players. however, if i am alone somewhere in the map, everything is fine!

keep in mind that it's not about lag or anything (i have about 70-80 ping). also, i have tried the following:
1. lowered every video setting
2. ran the game with WinXP compatibility (i have Win7)
3. tried multiple launch commands
4. i have most recent video drivers, directX, etc.
5. i have exempted the Steam directory from the antivirus protection.
6. reinstalled the game all over again.

my system is an AMD QuadCore with ATI Toxic 4850 and 4gb ram, more than enough for the game's requirements. keep in mind that everything is fine with other games, like the most recent Call of Duty ... got anything to suggest guys?tnx
VIP VIP
01 Jan 2011, 01:03
27 Posts

have you tried closing out every other program thats open besides steam and TF2, and checking in the progresses tab under windows task manager for shit thats eating your CPU / unwanted shit in general?

also, completely disable your anti-virus and try playing. i disabled mine two months ago because it kept scanning / cleaning all the time because it thinks my aimbots are hacks. so yeah, just try to run with it disabled.

11 Sep 2001, 19:41
1994 Posts

Aya Flex My Rex tipped me about this earlier when I was on a laptop that didn't do well; http://fakkelbrigade.eu/chris/configs/

They're nice configs and they improved my FPS a lot. If I remember correctly I used the highframes config. :)

19 Dec 2009, 17:16
1037 Posts

^

Those are the best FPS configs around.

07 Jul 2009, 02:20
840 Posts

I used to have FPS issues then i reinstalled and they went away, i reinstalled windows that is :P

25 Nov 2009, 22:49
1890 Posts

Well, there's a common error with Source games and Windows. No one have ever found out what really causes it, but it will do exactly as givemehead said. Reduces your FPS a lot when stuff is going on, and tuning down your resolution and texture settings, doesn't help at all, as if the lag is caused by other things.

I have had this on 2/3 computers I have owned, where it would appear after a random time. Formatting and reinstalling Windows was the only thing that helped.

So I really hope that Aya's config helps you out! If not, well.. This might be your only option left.

Let me guess. The same thing happens in other source-games? Like L4D, Counterstrike, etc?
02 Oct 2009, 15:24
1585 Posts

ManIAc wrote:
Well, there's a common error with Source games and Windows. No one have ever found out what really causes it, but it will do exactly as givemehead said. Reduces your FPS a lot when stuff is going on, and tuning down your resolution and texture settings, doesn't help at all, as if the lag is caused by other things.

I have had this on 2/3 computers I have owned, where it would appear after a random time. Formatting and reinstalling Windows was the only thing that helped.

So I really hope that Aya's config helps you out! If not, well.. This might be your only option left.

Let me guess. The same thing happens in other source-games? Like L4D, Counterstrike, etc?

I hate you for not saying this when we were playing tourneys. :v

Known as "Ocfos" since '01.
Server Admin Server Admin
25 Nov 2009, 22:49
1890 Posts

Ocfos88 wrote:
ManIAc wrote:

Well. Your computer was crap, had sucky ventilation, and was old. I'm pretty sure that was your problem? xD You couldn't even play Minecraft on it. :P
02 Oct 2009, 15:24
1585 Posts

ManIAc wrote:
Ocfos88 wrote:
ManIAc wrote:

Well. Your computer was crap, had sucky ventilation, and was old. I'm pretty sure that was your problem? xD You couldn't even play Minecraft on it. :P

I could, actually :v

Known as "Ocfos" since '01.
Loved Ex-Admin ♥ Loved Ex-Admin ♥
08 Jan 2010, 13:23
504 Posts

These FPS drops only occur because TF2 isnt optimised for 24+ players on one server, the configs are the only thing that might give him a boost

All other source games work normally, like i said this only happens when there is 24+ players in tf2
I have better specs then him and get below 30 FPS at some points, while i run CSS on maximum 160-250 FPS, try going to 24 slot server see how it will work

So yeah givemehead, configs are the only thing that might help you, and you shouldnt worry much because the problem isnt on your side.

Cheers

20 Mar 2010, 20:58
467 Posts

Unlockables play a part in low-fps aswell, since they don't have any LODs compiled with them.
Moar info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1281220/levelofdetail/index.htm
Quote:
Fun facts:
* In the unlock distance image, the 18 character models (weapons excluded) together are 15376 polygons. While a Ambassador + Huntsman alone is 16003 polygons.
* A single small Dalohks chocolate bar is only 22 polygons cheaper to render than the entire LOD model heavy eating it.
* 1 flamethrower has enough polygons to build 9 pyro LOD5 models.
* If you see a sniper across the 2fort battlements, his sidney sleeper weapon model alone is accounting for 86.7% of that players polygons.
Loved Ex-Admin ♥ Loved Ex-Admin ♥
504 Posts

Nice, i like the Dalokhs fact,made me lol, srsly the community weapons are nice and all, but a community weapon size of a chocolate bar shouldn't even remotly be like rendering one more heavy, yet its so small and so big :D

03 Aug 2009, 17:21
159 Posts

newest update just added LOD stuff ^^

504 Posts

theblackerbanana wrote:

Yeah but how well is the optimisation?

11 Sep 2001, 19:41
1994 Posts

Multilogic wrote:
theblackerbanana wrote:

Yeah but how well is the optimisation?

Your question depends what level of detail you've selected? ;)