New topic New reply  Page 1 of 1
 [ 11 posts ] 
VIP VIP
23 Jun 2010, 22:44
9 Posts

Server: Aprilon Dynasty [#1] Sandbox
My Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26449283
About you - what can you do, and why should I become an admin?:

Hello, I'm Adam Johnston - Also known as Telepathic Indian -, a 17 year old college student from Merseyside. I am currently attending a college in Birkenhead (Just across the river Mersey, from Liverpool), taking Computing, Maths and Further Maths for my second year (starting next September). In my spare time, I'm either playing on my druid on WoW, playing GMod, and more specifically, Aprilon Dynasty (unless the server isn't on, then I go on Single Player and develop some of my current E2s) or reading a book - generally at night.

Since I was in year five (when I was ten years old), I've enjoyed programming. I started off in Visual Basic, which I still program in today, and I picked up HTML, Javascript and PHP programming along the way (albeit, not particularily very well) And for the past year or so, I've been practising my C++ skills on a WoW private server. I can program in LUA, as well (I believe this is used with the server, to allow for improvements) However, I haven't had much practise in it, so if I were to help out, I would be slow at first. SQL is also a strong point.

If my application were to be accepted, it would be a benefit to the server, as I am generally on during the day, when there are less or no admins online (multiple times, I have been required to contact Mike (Ocfos) over steam or MSN and request him to come online to kick or ban someone who is annoying others) which means I could quite easily fill that timeslot. With the summer holidays in two weeks, I will be on around 12:00+ until somewhere between 16:00 and 01:00, depending if there's anything urgent to do concerning WoW.
Another bonus to accepting me as an admin is my enjoyment of programming. I would happily develop scripts or gamemodes for the network which could boost the server popularity and help make the servers a nicer place to be.
For instance, I have been thinking about the mechanics of a script that could be used to prevent griefers from annoying others while an admin is not available. This script would allow a person to type a command e.g. !minge name, which would then prompt all users on the server with a questionnaire dialogue, which asks them if the subject is being annoying. If a certain percentage (minus the person who is annoying others, who will, no doubt, vote No) vote Yes (probably somewhere in the regions of 70%-80%), the subject will be kicked and will be unable to spawn props for a given amount of time (possibly related to the amount of 'Yes' votes) if they log back in.

...Anyway, kind of went off on one there, back to the point. I am aware I have only been on GMod and therefore the server for about 3-4 weeks, however, in that time, I have learned E2, met the key figures on the server (Admins and Active members (VIPs and Non-VIPs)) and befriended a few and have maintained a sensible attitude towards others on the server.
On a side note to that last point, I have only been banned once, due to the accidental acquisition of that LUA virus which crashed the server and advertised another, which I am hoping Dave will back me up on.

If a person was annoying others on the server (given I was admin), I would give them a warning, first (unless they had spawned many props on the spawn point) then if they ignored my warning, I would kick them. If they then logged back in, to kick up a fuss or even try to annoy people even more, I would politely ask them to leave, and if they did not, I would issue a ban; the period of which would be related to the severity of their actions.

In conclusion, I believe that I am a good applicant for this vacancy as I would be a polite issuer of Kicks and Bans on the server; and I could be of use with the more technical side of the server e.g. developing code, helping out with maintenance and hopefully being of as much use as possible when it comes to programming related problems.

Kindest Regards,
Adam. :)

02 Oct 2009, 15:24
1585 Posts

Definately something i can approve even though you haven't been on the server for more than 2-4 weeks i've known you for 3 years, so i can really say you're a person to trust with such responsibility :)
and then the bonus about his programming skills wich i can personally say is quite nice :3:

BIG +1

Known as "Ocfos" since '01.
Server Admin Server Admin
11 Aug 2009, 20:12
1264 Posts

Read the other applications. You need to be here for more than 2 weeks and have an active presence on the forum.

If you bothered to read the stickies you would have seen this: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1179
1585 Posts

Jamza, he might not have been here for more than a few weeks but i've known him for 3 years, he IS someone to trust ;)

1264 Posts

Ocfos88 wrote:
Jamza, he might not have been here for more than a few weeks but i've known him for 3 years, he IS someone to trust ;)

Its not enough that YOU trust him. All the OTHER admins have to trust them too, and this is done through being Active on the server and the forums which he hasn't.
1585 Posts

he actually IS on the server almost every day :ghost:

1264 Posts

Ocfos88 wrote:

For the past 2 weeks. Hardly active.

If you actually read any of the other applications, it takes MONTHS to even be considered for admin. Activity for the past 2 weeks is nothing.
16 Aug 2009, 23:54
965 Posts

I will back you up on you being infected by the slob bot lua virus, which I instructed Ocfos to help you remove it. But as for now I will just observe you in-game and watch this thread develop as it is much too early for me to voice an opinion.

Neutral standpoint.

What's the point of getting gmod if you have no creativity?

Dave [AD] killed Karlicious using prop_physics

|SLA|ƿƐȚȝɌ ΡլϓЅ<33: if i was admin i will set prop limit 800
Maximus: me 2
Loved Ex-Admin ♥ Loved Ex-Admin ♥
08 Jan 2010, 13:23
504 Posts

Jamza wrote:
Ocfos88 wrote:

If you actually read any of the other applications, it takes MONTHS to even be considered for admin. Activity for the past 2 weeks is nothing.

You speak like he will be processed in a day.He opened an application, there should be at least a month ahead of his process, so now try to see if he's active and not reject him instantly

1264 Posts

Multilogic wrote:
You speak like he will be processed in a day.He opened an application, there should be at least a month ahead of his process, so now try to see if he's active and not reject him instantly

I mean they actually have to be a player on the server for a decent amount of time before applying for admin.
02 Jun 2009, 22:57
209 Posts

Jamza wrote:
Read the other applications. You need to be here for more than 2 weeks and have an active presence on the forum.

I'm must say I agree. The fact that one admin knows and trusts the person doesn't mean the rest do.